With beauty at the top of every male and females list, and with the beauty industry worth £17 billion to the UK economy, there is every reason to pursue a career in this field.
Everyone benefits from a beauty treatment. With hands and feet being two of the most exposed areas of the body, a Manicure or Pedicure treatment is most essential.
Not only is it deeply relaxing, but it can also give confidence to the receiver about their appearance, and encourage them to maintain healthy hands, feet and nails.
What is the difference between a Manicure and a Pedicure?
In simple terms, Manicure is a beauty treatment for the fingernails and hand, whilst a Pedicure is a beauty treatment for feet and legs.
KEY LEARNING POINTS
- Understand the main functions of the skin and Identify the diseases of the skin and sweat glands
- Understand the appearance and causes of common types of skin lesions
- Understand the functions of the foot with regards to weight bearing, locomotion and shock absorption
- Understand disorders of the foot caused by posture stresses and foot wear
- Recognise treatable foot conditions
THE NAIL DISORDERS AND DIAGNOSIS
- Understand the basic structure of the nail and how the nail plate is formed
- Learn in detail how toenails should be cut
IMPLEMENTS AND MATERIALS
- Explore the implements involved in manicures and pedicures
- Learn about the cosmetics involved
- Understand key consultation questions used to assess clients nail history and condition
- Understand contra-indications, which prevent a manicure and pedicure treatment
- Learn how to perform a manicure, understand the purpose and benefits
- Explore Specialist Treatments such as hot oil manicures and Hand and arm Exfoliation
- Understand the importance of hand cleansing, protection and nourishment
- Identify the stages of a pedicure procedure
HANDS AND ARM MASSAGE
- Look at the principles of massage and the main movements involved
- Recognise benefits of massage
- Understand the contra indications to massage
- Understand how to select the most appropriate massage medium for individual clients
STERILISATION, BUSINESS ADVICE
- Understand the sterilisation methods used for nail care treatments
- Identify the general salon hygiene procedures which contribute to the hygiene of your salon
- Understand your personal hygiene requirements
- Identify steps in assessing a new business opportunity
ADVANTAGES OF THIS COURSE
- This course will play an important part in your beauty therapy journey. It’s a gateway to other areas of the industry.
- The beauty industry is filled with many chances to meet and work with fascinating people.
- This area of beauty also encourages the health benefits of well-kept hands and feet.
- You have the flexibility of choosing your location and operating hours.
- You can use the knowledge and techniques to pamper friends and family too.
Units Of Study
- Anatomy of upper limbs & hands
- Anatomy of lower limbs & feet
- Structure & disorders of the nails
- Nail care – implements & cosmetics
- Manicure & pedicure procedures & contra-indications
- Hand & foot massage
- Sterilisation & hygiene procedures
- Common problems