Whether you have a person in mind, are looking for the right subject or are keen to tell your own inspiring life story, this great-value online Biography Writing Diploma teaches all you need to know about writing a great biography and finding an audience for it in the competitive UK market.
What Will I Learn?
The ability to write engaging, compelling content is at the heart of all writing. However, biography writing involves the extra challenges of finding a suitable subject and conducting extensive research and interviews before you even put pen to paper. This course guides you through how to do just that before ultimately writing a commercially successful biography.
Who is the Course For?
You don’t need to be a literature graduate or published writer to take the course, but you must have an interest in honing the creative writing skills you already possess into the skillset needed to make your subject’s story come alive. All study is undertaken online, meaning the course is ideal for people who need to fit their book-writing ambitions around their work and family obligations.
KEY LEARNING POINTS
Work through the modules to learn what it takes to make it as a biography writer.
- In the introduction learn about what biographical writing is and the basics of what to include in a biography.
- Explore the tools and personal skills you’ll need to be a successful biographical writer, the pros and cons of working from home as a writer and how to conduct great research and convert it into a compelling read.
- Learn how to identify your target audience and how the biography genre fits into the bookselling market.
- Explore the crucial area of interviewing your subject including tips for a meaningful interview, how to bond with your interviewee and some ideas for great questions.
- Gain an insight into different methods of biographical research to gain true and accurate source material that your readers will engage with.
- Look at the process of deciding a subject, formulating a research plan and a following a basic biographical writing framework.
- Explore techniques for making your biography more interesting and entertaining without compromising the facts.
- Find out about ways to make both the facts and your writing style flow with a focus on the importance of drafting.
- Learn how to gain confidence as a writer and banish writer’s block.
- Practise quick and easy writing exercises that will get the creative juices flowing.
- If you have a compelling life-story of your own, learn how to turn it into a successful autobiography.
- Learn about routes to publication including the increasingly popular route of self-publishing.
ADVANTAGES OF THE COURSE
- Progress at your own pace, on all your devices at a time and in a place that suits you.
- Access to the 15-20 hours of course content is for 12 months, meaning you can recap your learning whenever you like.
- Technical support is available, should you run into difficulties.
- Each module takes between 40 and 90 minutes to complete, making study easy to fit into your day.
- Completing the course is a time and cost-effective way of gaining the skills to make your biography writing ambitions a reality.
Start chapter one of your biography writing success story by signing up to the Biography Writing Diploma today.
This course is CPD certified.